Saturday, September 1, 2012

Making money on the internet, do they get too much?

Hello everyone, how have you been? Today I would like to talk about people who make a living on things they do on the internet.

For me this is a great way for someone to make money especially since the economy is the way it is and it's harder to find a job now. But what I want to address is, are people getting paid too much?
money stack

It has been something I have been thinking about for a while but when it comes right down to it people on youtube are just making videos, some of them very simple videos. These people are getting paid a really good chunk of money to do it as well.

Mind you all of them that get paid a lot, get paid through advertisements which means they are getting paid solely based on their popularity encouraging great content from them, but this doesn't really change that they are getting paid to post youtube videos.

Now the counter argument to this would be obvious "they spend their time and life developing those videos and it's their only source of income so why shouldn't they get paid for that kind of dedication?" Yeah, true, they are doing that. But my argument to that is, getting paid enough to live, and getting paid enough to live luxuriously are completely different.

Let us look at facebook for a quick moment to prove that point, they have an expected revenue of 5 billion dollars for 2012. This is a simple social networking site, that, just by existing is expected to generate 5 billion dollars, that is a absolutely ridiculous sum of money for a website.

Now before anyone chooses to bite my head off for the "simple" comment about facebook, yes I know they have multiple people working on it and they are constantly updating and ect. I'm saying that as a fellow programmer I understand the amount of work it takes to do something like that, and while it would take a large amount of time the coding aspect of it is rather simple by itself.

What I mean by that is simple, you don't need a group of professionals to make the site work, just a group of mid-high level experienced web programmers. The proof to that I suppose would be the ton of facebook clones that exist, though there is never any point in making a clone because people aren't normally going to jump shift for a site that is trying to be exactly like facebook with nothing new.

But I end my arguments there, what do you all think about it? Think certain people or sites make too much money? Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment