When you think about what you want to become, the type of person you want to be, do you ever reflect on your past dreams or goals? I do, all the time as a matter of fact. I hope you do as well. While we can't change our past it is important for us to see how much has changed from one time in our life to another.
![]() | |
| The story of my life |
11 years ago when I first started getting into programming I never thought I would become a profession programmer, it simply wasn't my intention. I had a love for technology back then just like I do now but I never thought about exploiting my ability as a programmer to live a life filled with the technology I love so much.
My dream now is to become a professional bowler by using the money I make as a programmer to go around the country and enter bowling tournaments. I'm a very lucky individual in the sense that I was able to find a way to have all my dreams become possible. Most people have to give up their dreams to make something they want become reality.
Reflecting back on all of this though I wish I was able to find a way to market my abilities sooner so it wouldn't of taken so long for me to have a chance at becoming a professional bowler.
How much do you have to give up to allow yourself the ability to have a dream though? Sometimes the sacrifice is too great for people to be willing to go through with it all.
Depending on the dream you might have to give up friendships, family time, possibly even a social life in general. You could also have to move around a lot which isolates you from your familiar scene of home. But for those of us that are willing to do anything to make our goals come true those sacrafices are worth making.
But for those who can't give up those things to make their dreams come true they have to give up something else just as precious, the dream itself. They have to change the kind of person they want to become, compromise themselves, to keep something important to them.
Giving up on everything you worked for is never easy though. Changing your life plans just because you realized you had to make more sacrifices then you would like seems too difficult for a normal person to do without even further pain.
I feel that if you do something like that you will always be faced with the question "what if" in the back of your mind and it is possible you will never be able too look at the things you enjoyed most without thinking about what you gave up to keep them.
Being filled with regrets is no way to live in my opinion and if I lose friendships or family over chasing my goals and dreams then those people were never my friends or family to begin with. I will follow the path I feel is right to the very end and I truly believe that is how people should handle things if they want to live without regret.

No comments:
Post a Comment