Friday, August 24, 2012

The Theory of Staying Together

This is the idea behind parents staying together longer then they should. Don't get the wrong impression, I believe that people can stay together their entire life and be happy, the issue comes with those who can't.

I think once it gets to the point where the two are fighting a lot that it's rather pointless for them to stay together. I think that their main excuse "we are staying together for our child's sake" is a rather stupid and self-centered argument.

Here is the reasoning behind why I believe that. People have a funny habit of considering kids dumb and not knowing what's going on but kids can pick up on when something is wrong really quickly. If the parents are fighting or just not happy with each other the child will pick up on that.

Most children don't want their parents to split up, this is true. But keep in mind that they would most likely want them to split up over them arguing every day. No child wants to see the two people they love fighting each other all the time. And worse to know that he/she is the reason that they can't move forward in life and split apart could cause some very emotional issues. I think parents that openly use their kid as an excuse to stay together aren't truly thinking about the child's feelings and are just trying to justify their unhappiness.

This is especially true considering the fact that if the parents did get a divorce then the child could see both parents and the child wouldn't have to see their parents argue anymore. The child can see both parents and interact with them without the turmoil of them arguing or being constantly angry. This also leaves them open for a new, better relationship.

So where is the cut off point for them where they should just say, okay, enough is enough. I think this is very dependant on the people involved but for the most part I think a general agreement would be whenever you both start doing completely different things and never spend time together is the first sign. When you start adding arguing to that to the point where the two people just aren't getting along anymore is the big sign that they just need to get a divorce.

This is obviously a very opinionated subject however and with that said I would really love to read some opinions from others, so let me know what your thoughts are people. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment